Boštjan Burger - Burger Landmarks


Church of St. Francis in Šiška

Virtualna ekskurzija :: Virtual excursionvirtual excursion

Virtualni muzej arhitekturnih del Jožeta Plečnika :: VIRTUAL MUSEUM

Church of St. Francis of Assisi in Šiška (1924-31). Jože Plečnik modeled on early Christian basilicas when designing a spacious church nave. The stop is wooden and level, and there is a strip of windows around. The center of the church is an altar with a high pyramidal roof shifted towards the center. The interior of the church is designed as a hall with an altar in the middle, which is supposed to establish more direct contact with the faithful. The hall space is surrounded by a procession corridor, separated from the hall by mighty pillars. The unusual church bell tower was not added until 1931. As early as 1906, plans began to build a new church, as the old one, the Church of St. Jernej, no longer met the needs of the parish. But construction began only after Jože Plečnik made new plans in 1924. This construction was Plečnik's first order after returning to Ljubljana. Since the location was not determined at first, Plečnik wanted to build a church on the top of Šišenski hrib with monumental access. The Franciscans bought a plot of land, which was (then) in the middle of the fields, and today is located along Verovškova Street. The interior space is square in shape, with no pronounced axis. The middle nave is deepened, surrounded by a pillar walkway for processions. Monumental brick pillars are a reflection of Plečnik's classical belief. He left very little space inside for other designers and was not in favor of the frescoes they painted. Sam also designed most of the equipment, including altars and lamps. Construction began on April 19, 1925, with the blessing of the space and the laying of the foundation stone. On October 3, 1926, the church and the altar were blessed by the Bishop of Ljubljana Anton Bonaventura Jeglič and the Bishop of Maribor Andrej Karlin. Construction then continued with external or. side parts. On July 8, 1928, the church became the parish church of the then established parish of St. Francis in Šiška. In 1930, construction began on the bell tower, which was completed in October 1931. The interior altars were also Plečnik's work, while the frescoes were painted by the academic painter, Franciscan Father Blaž Farčnik. Heavenly Gloria is thus located on the altar wall. The church was declared a cultural monument of local significance in 2001 and then in 2009 it was declared a cultural monument of national importance as part of Plečnik's works. In September 2011, the bells and their load-bearing structure were renovated, as only two bells were still working due to the dilapidation of the system, and the oak wood structure was already shaky in some parts and therefore dangerous. The church has 4 bells, 1 bronze and 3 iron. Church of St. Francis of Assisi was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List on 28 July 2021 as part of the entry of the Work of Jože Plečnik in Ljubljana - urban design tailored to man. Sources:
"Description of the immovable cultural heritage unit, record number 331". Reviewer of the Register of Cultural Heritage (Cultural Heritage Protection Act, Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, No. 16/2008). Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Slovenia. - Decision on the proclamation of the Church of St. Francis of Assisi in Šiška for a cultural monument of local significance - Decree declaring the works of architect Jože Plečnik in Ljubljana cultural monuments of national importance.  

Burger Landmarks /

Digitalizacija dediščine: (c) Boštjan Burger, (1993) 1996-2024