Gobavica is a hill (433 m above sea level) above the northwestern area of Mengeš. At the top is Mengeška koča. The Gobavica area is a popular recreational area with numerous footpaths and a trim trim track. On a hill in the eastern area of Gobavica, just above Mengeš, are the remains of the former Mannsburg castle from the 12th century.
The castle and the settlement below it are said to be named after the pagan knight Meng. Name Mengeš oz. its German version Mannsburg, apparently derived from the old German name Meingo, Mengoz or Megingoz, is mentioned in documents from the 10th to the 12th century.
The first indirect mention of the castle (as Meingosburg) is in 1154, when the Mengeš knight, the Andean ministerial Dietrik of Mengeš (Dietricus), is mentioned. After 1230, the castle belonged to the Styrian Duke Frederick II. From 1248 to 1251 it was occupied by Count Majnhard of Goriška as an imperial administrator, followed by Spanheimi. The castle was ceded to them in 1250 by one of the heirs of the Andes, the Patriarch of Aquileia Bertold. This year, the castle is first explicitly mentioned as the Mengosburch castrum. In 1260 the vassal Ortolf of Mengeš is mentioned. The next mention of the castle comes in 1316 (das haus datz Meyngospurch); at that time Hartvik Steier (Styrian) handed over his share of the castle (half of which was owned by Frederick) to his wife and children. As early as 1329, Hertlein received from the Duke of Carinthia Henry in the feud a third of the castle, which had previously belonged to the sons of Frederick Steyer. Part of the second half was sold by Frederick's widow Trauta and her sons to Hartlein and Henrik of the Ortolf family (ainen tayl von unserm tayl) in 1335, and some parts had been sold to them by relatives before. Castle hill, walls, suburbs and more were also sold. Frederick's branch finally sold its share in 1337, namely the Hartwick branch. For a genealogical table of the Mengeški branch, see Kos: Vitez in grad. In 1345, Hartwik left the castle to his relative Rajnher Schenk from Ostrovica, who sold the castle to Egelolf Müllinger around 1356. It is possible that at this time the ownership was shared with the Mengšans of the Ortolf family. Johann of Peggau, Gallenberg and Hohenwarti later became the owners of the castle. The latter abandoned the castle at the beginning of the 17th century and built a new manor seat at the foot of the castle hill around 1625-1630.
In the 14th century, the Mengeš people used 3 different coats of arms. The first was the coat of arms of the brothers Ortolf and Wisent (from Krško) from the end of the 13th and the beginning of the 14th century with a split shield and an empty right field, and in the left with three rafters. Their sons all in turn used the coat of arms with intertwined hooks. Wiset's sons all entered the service of the Counts of Goriška and received the administration of Mehovo. The third coat of arms used by Hartwick's (one of Wiset's sons) branch contained a growing lion above two waves. obliquely divided shield with upper lion's half in the first field and wavy in the second.
Stopar, Ivan, Dr .: "Castle Buildings in Central Slovenia - I. Gorenjska (Kamnik and Kamniška Bistrica Areas)", Viharnik, Ljubljana, 1997, ISBN 961-6057-12-X
Taken from URL: http://www.gradovi.net/grad/menges_grad, April 20, 2022