Boštjan Burger - Burger Landmarks

Podsreda Castle

VR excursion je

O n the northern slope of mount Orlica, some 5 kilometres away from the market place od Podsreda, there shows of the Podsreda Castle. The still insufficiently explored past of the castle is made up for by the surprising expressiveness of the eightcentury-old masonry which, in spite of the numerous structural alterations and extensions, has preserved an almost intact original core.
Hörberg or Herberch, as the castle used to be called, was erected in the first half of the 12th century and laid out to form a simple and typical rectangular nucleus. Somewhere about 1180, a higt defensive tower - the keep - was added, then, about 1220, the southern palatium (wing), and about 1260, another tower with a chapel.
A bout the year 1000, the whole of Kozjansko area belonged to the feudal estate of the Breže-Seliški counts, and later on to Countess Hema. Upon Hema's death, the majority of her estate passed under the archbishopric of Salzburg and the bishopric of Krka (Gurk in Carinthia, Austria). Ever since its erection, the castle formed one of the five regional law court.
In 1213, when the castle is mentioned for the first time, Ortolf, a nobleman from Planina, deeded it to his wife Kiburga from Ptuj. In 1338, Herman von Kranichberg sells Podsreda Castle to Friderik Žovnek, and after that Podsreda Castle is one of those Krka castles which were regularly certified to the Celje counts by said bishops. When the Celje counts had died out, the Castle of Podsreda and the feudal estate became the property of the country's sovereign. After that, the leaseholders and stewards of the castle succeeded one another in rapid succession, till in 1617 Count Sigmund von Tattenbach acquired a permanent and hereditary title to it. In 1701, the Podsreda estate was inherited by Countess Eleonora E. Barbo, upon her death by her daughter Maria H. of Apfaltrern, and in 1787 by Baron von Lazarini. About 1848, the estate was bought by Duke Weriand von Windischgrätz. He, and even more so Count Schönburg-Glauchau, his son-in-law, gave the castle in the following years its present appearance. The estate remained in the hands of his heirs till the end of the World War II.
S ince 1983, the castle has been systematically renovated under auspices of Kozjansko park. At the same time, the casle's original architectural components have been carefully uncovered.
The renovated storerooms are intended for exhibition activity, the hall for concerts and promotions.
I n one room on the first floor, is prepared for you a short presentation of the castle's past and the progress of the renovating works so far performed. Also, there is presented the partnership between the Wolfsegg (near Regensburg) and the Podsreda castles. In the adjoining room are displayed Vischer's graphics of the castles: Podsreda, Kunšperk, Bizeljsko, Kozje, Pilštanj, Hartenštajn, Olimje, Podčetrtek, Planina, Brestanica, Jelšingrad and Rifnik, all of them taken from the topography of the Dukedom od Styria - Topographia Ducatus Stirie, dating from 1681. In the renaissance hall, there hang coloured graphic woodcuts with presentation of the clothes and pieces of furnishings made about 1860, while in the tower and of the gallery there are coloured lithographs of the Štajersko castles (Reichert and Kaiser). Both collections were donated by Kurt Müller, a guest of the Rogaška Slatina spa centre of many years standig.
M ention also needs to be made of the medieval kitchen and the castle dungeon hidden underneath the staircase.
O n the ground floor is presented the glass, which is based upon both the glassmaking tradition and the contemporary manufacture of master glassmakers from Rogaška Slatina, the Kozjansko area, and elsewhere. In fact, glass manufacture in the Kozjansko area has a long tradition, and it flourished primarily in those places where the existing areas of woodlands offered sufficient quantities of wood. In these parts, the main products were primarily articles made from green and colourless glass, while some glass vessels and fragments of glass which have survived on the dumps of the formed glass works bear evidence that opaque (milk) glass, as well as multicoloured glass, was also manufactured here. In this area, there operated the glass works at Loka pri Žusmu, Vetrnik, Log ob Sotli, Čača vas, Jurklošter, Svetli dol at the foot of mount Svetina, and others. Some of them also exported their products to Italy, the Orient, etc. In 1841, the owner of the glass company at Loka pri Žusmu was awarded a bronze medal at the Central Austrian trade fair for the higt quality of his products. Aside from manufacturing mineral water bottles, teh Kozjansko glass works, like those located on the Pohorje ridge, manufactured glassware for storing medicines and victuals, lighting ware, table services and dinnerware, window glass, and the like.
T he more valuable vessels would be decorated by cutting, polishing and grinding, engraving, enamelling and painting behind glass. In this way, the decorative elements would change gradually from artistic and craftsmanmade into etnographic characteristics. Objects intended for everyday use were mostly plain, strictly functional and of aesthetically simple forms.
Aside from simple glassware, the objects produced in Slovenia in the 18th and 19th centuries also included more exacting items, so that glassmakers in no way lagged behind the developments of other European countries of the time. (source: Kozjanski park for, 2000)

Burger Landmarks /

Digitalizacija dediščine: (c) Boštjan Burger, (1993) 1996-2024