The temple of Luxor is situated on the east bank and nearby the Nile River. King Amenhotep III who reigned 1390-1353 B.C. built the temple which was dedicated to the state and major god Amon-Ra, his wife godess of the sky - Mut and their son, god of the moon Khons. This temple was completed by Tutankhamun and Horemheb and added to by Ramesses II. On the face of the great pylon are carved episodes from the 'Battle of Kadesh', when Ramesses and his army defeated the forces of the Hittites. The obelisk is one of a red granite pair which Ramesses erected in front of the pylon. Its twin is nowdays in the Place de la Concorde in Paris.
Interesting detail: During the Christian era the temple's hypostyle hall was converted into a Christian church. The remains of another Coptic church can be seen to the west of the temple. Then for a milenums, the temple was buried beneath the streets and houses of the town of Luxor. When Arabs settlet this area the Temple of Luxor was under the deposit of Nile River. Only the upper parts of colums were visible. In the Temple of Luxor is the Mosque of Abu'l Haggag which is located in the northeast corner of the Court of Ramesses. Nowdays the basement of the mosque is rised above the surface.
Ancient Thebes with its Necropolis were inscribed to UNESCO human heritage list in 1979.
[Africa|Egypt|Luxor - okolica|Luxor|HERITAGE / DEDIŠČINA]
Egipt Egyptian Landmarks Virtual Reality Panoramas geographical presentation : copyright: Boštjan Burger