Calviis located on the northwest coast of the island of Corsica, 95 km from Bastia and 24 km from L'Île-Rousse. It is the fifth-largest commune in Corsica. The town is the seat of the Canton of Calvi, which contains Calvi and one other commune, Lumio. Calvi is also the capital of the Arrondissement of Calvi, which contains, besides the Canton of Calvi, three other cantons: L'Île-Rousse, Belgodère, and Calenzana.
Above the town is a fortress – Citadel which was built during the time of occupation of Republic of Genoa. Inside the fortress are barracks of the 2ndForeignParachute Regiment worn on Green Berets, the chapel of St. Anton and the house of Christopher Columbus who, by the legend was coming from Calvi
The economy of Calvi is essentially based on summer tourism, which started in 1950 due to the pioneering efforts of Vladimir Raitz. Calvi is served by the international Calvi - Sainte-Catherine Airport, the Xavier Colonna Port, and a railway line to L'Île-Rousse and Ponte-Leccia, where it connects with the main line Ajaccio - Bastia.